Monday, August 17, 2009

Stuffed Chicken Legs







A few months ago my husband John and I decided to try to make one of Gordon Ramsay's recipes. This recipe was stuffed chicken legs. It looked so delicious that we just had to see if we could do it. We got all the ingredients minus the nuts and hubby went to work at deboning the leg. Needless to say, this was time consuming but John kept at it and did not give up even with me there with a camera taking picture after picture and telling him to "hold it" a zillion times. Of course Mr. Ramsay makes it look so easy and I had to keep reminding hubby that he has not had twenty years experience doing this, but he was doing rather well any way.
Once the meat was off the bone the stuffing was not hard to do. The bacon we bought should have been much thinner because it was harder to work with the thicker slices. He then wrapped tightly with foil and poached three at a time for 25 minutes. We let them rest and then put them in the fridge for 30 minutes before taking them out to pat dry and sautéed the bacon wrapped chicken so the back would be nice and crisp.
Now eating this was a test on its own. We noticed little things that we would have done differently
if we choose to do this recipe again. First of all, thinner bacon. The bacon was way too thick and was hard to work with and took awhile to crisp and it was pretty greasy. The second thing is to not eat a whole one! We should have just had slices of it between us. I was so full and I did not even eat a whole one. We have some in the freezer that we will take out when we have company and just slice it. I think about three slices per person is a good portion. It was fun but when I asked John if he would do it again, his face answered for him. I will take his look as a polite "no."

1 comments:

Kay said...

Those look interesting but I agree with John, I wouldn't want to debone them. I've never liked that part of anything. Can't you buy boneless chicken thighs and do the same thing?
Thanks for sharing the link to your blog Geri, I'm enjoying it.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing